house fire

Sat
14
Apr

Home destroyed in Granite Shoals fire

Glynis Crawford Smith/The Highlander

From Briar Park at 518 Shorewood Drive, the Saturday afternoon conflagration that claimed the next home in the 500 block can be seen raging. 'It had been in the family 55 years,' said one of the homeowners said at the scene. "We had just finished the remodel.' Find more scenes from the disaster in a photo album on The Highlander page of Facebook -- http://bit.ly/2JQt213.

This story has been updated For the Tuesday, April 17, edition of The Highlander.

 

 

 

By Glynis Crawford Smith

The Highlander

A newly remodeled lakefront home in Granite Shoals went up in flames fed by high winds that had Lake LBJ covered in whitecaps on Saturday, April 14.

Thu
30
Mar

House fire under investigation in Horseshoe Bay

An unoccupied house under renovation caught fire Thursday evening in Horseshoe Bay West.
Horseshoe Bay Fire Chief Joe Morris said his department received a call at approximately 5 p.m. Thursday of a fire at  211 Wenmohs Place. The fire apparently started in the attic of the home, which was being renovated and was fortunately unoccupied.
Firefighters from Horseshoe Bay, Marble Falls, Granite Shoals and Cottonwood Shores battled the blaze. Several firefighters entered the home to attack the fire and when debris started falling from the ceiling, Morris evacuated the house. One responder had to receive aid from EMS, but quickly recovered and went back to the fire again.
They were able to contain the fire but crews were still on scene as of 9 p.m. Thursday. Pedernales Electric Cooperative was able to cut power to the building to assist.
The blaze is still under investigation.

Tue
18
Oct

Family escapes house fire

Lew K. Cohn/The Highlander

Horseshoe Bay firefighters battle a fire at 628 Fir Lane in Cottonwood Shores early Monday morning, Oct. 17.

By Lew K. Cohn

Managing Editor

The Highlander

 

A Cottonwood Shores family is thankful they safely made it out of their home early Monday morning when it caught fire.

The home at 628 Fir Lane appears it will be a total loss, but things could have been much worse.

Julia Ruiz said her family was just waking up when “my daughter was telling me there was smoke in the house.”

“I ran into the hallway and realized I saw smoke coming out of the whole hallway, so I told the kids to get out,” she said. “That was the first thing, let's get them out. I went into the laundry room because I could see where the smoke was coming from and I moved the curtain back a little bit and saw nothing but smoke, so I ran out of there too.”

Ruiz and her family were able to all get out of the home without suffering any injury.

Subscribe to RSS - house fire